Friday, December 29, 2006

To the village...

Been in Niamey for a week now.  I rode my bike in last Sunday, that was a trek.  100km, or about 60 miles, in just under 8 hours.  It was a fun ride, but I don't think I'll do it every time I come to Niamey.  I've been here working on reorganizing the Hostel in Niamey with Seabass and Alex.  We've been ridiculously busy with it for 3 or 4 days now, so I haven't had much time to chat, shop, and do other normal Niamey things.  It's enough work to keep us busy for another week, but we all have to go back to the bush today.  We're making definite headway, and have a surprising amount of support from the bureau as well as the other volunteers.  I expected more volunteers to complain about changes, but they took it vey well and are eager to see the place cleaned up.

I'm going back out to work on the grain bank in full force today.  I really want to have it done by Jan 5, but I'm not sure it will happen.  I wanted to move out of my village then, but I'm starting to realize that that's not feasible, and I will probably have to do it around the 16th or after.  That will aleviate some pressure on the bank, but I worry that it will just let them procrastinate and in 2 weeks we'll be in the same boat we are now. 

I need to get a couple things done here at the bureau then head out, so ta ta for now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hon!! You can expect a letter and some pictures soon...I'll be sending them this weekend, Dec. 31, so probably within a month depending on snail mail time. Hopefully you get it. All's well here, and I'll give details in the letter. Glad to hear you're doing well. Miss you! Love, Heather

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND WE MISS YOU. HAPPY NEW YEAR. Just isn't the same without you here.

We all missed you Christmas Day at Grandma and Grandpa's.

Aunt Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy - It is great to read about your adventures and good to know you are doing well. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. We got an extra special Christmas present this year - Elizabeth Eileen was born Dec 23!

Anonymous said...

jimmie,
sounds like you had a great time with your folks. good to hear you are doing ok. sent you some pics of the family for christmas, hope you've gotten them by now. cheyenne is getting so big. she is ssooooooo busy!!! we stayed with your folks this week and she has been terrorizing the cat and dogs. pierre runs at the first sign of her! well hope your christmas was good and we think about you lots. love and miss you, A.P.

Anonymous said...

jimmie,
ps: i sent you a note via blog back mid december but i guess i didn't do it correctly because we couldn't find it anywhere, so it's not like i didn't try!!!, love ya, A.P.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy-
You have missed one heck of a winter. We got 12 inches of snow in Pittsburg around the beginning of December. Then in January we got 2 inches of ice followed by 4 inches of snow. And right now, it's snowing again. I cannot remember ever getting this much snow in Kansas.

Anyhow, that's not actually why I am writing. I am writing to let you know...I'm ENGAGED!!! I was not sure if your mom had told you or not, and I couldn't find any posts about it on here so I am just making sure someone has told you. Oh I wish you could meet him. He's the first guy I have brought home that everyone likes!!! That is, everyone but Dustin, and mom says that's just because he's jealous that I'm getting married before him. Anyhow, we are planning a June 9, 2007 wedding. I know you won't be able to make it, but we're having the ceremony filmed, and can send you a DVD when it is done. I hope you guys have the technology for that. Let me know. If you don't have that technology, then we can send pictures.

We love you and miss you.

J-Yo

Bowdiei said...

Jim, My name is Bowdie Isanhart and I see that you are teaching in Hamdalley. My girlfriend, Amy Brady is one of the newbie's there. If you get this before your time is up teaching there, would you do me a favor and surprise her for me. Give her a hug and tell her that I lover her.

Thanks, and I really like your blog and pod casts.

Thanks,

Bowdie

Bishniak said...

Still going back to the village, or have you arrived there by now?

(This is my oh-so subtle way of asking for an updated post)

Bonheddwr said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Jimmie, I was good to hear you voice again. I love and miss you! Mom

AprilinSalone said...

Are you on the Magic Bus for that podcast "random bus sounds"? Cuz that sure sounded like Haoua Petite!!