Sunday, June 04, 2006

IST is over

It was sad to leave the training site again. IST was good, very interesting and informative. It's nice not having to worry about food or laundry.  I'll also miss the teachers, they're a lot of fun.  I've been in Niamey for a couple of days, and am ready to get out of here.  I'm not really ready to go back to my post yet, but I never am.  It's not that I don't like it, it's just like going home after a vacation; you don't want to, but once you're there, it's good to be back.  I came down with bacteria last night, right on schedule.  Stupid fever.  The doctors are great here though (and free) so no worries. 
 
I'll probably try to stay out in the bush for a month or so.  I need to start organizing people so we can build a grain bank, and I want to do a demo farm with some improved seeds from ICRISAT.  I also want to start a tree nursery this fall for some nitrogen-fixing Acacia trees.  I was amazed at how much they can improve the fertility of a field over just a couple of years.  It would be an awesome project, but I have to get the villagers to understand instead of just smiling and nodding. 
 
Well, that's all I've got for now, hopefully I'll see some of you online before I take off to the bush tomorrow.  And don't forget to save up for your plane tickets to come visit ;-)

5 comments:

Bishniak said...

What is ICRISAT?

and I talked to you yesterday, so you can understand why I don't have the money for a plane ticket to Niger :)

Anonymous said...

Update . . . I have another "pet" in my office; her name is Ishtar. Now I have three of "them" -- Cleopatra, Nammu and Ishtar. Ishtar isn't docile, so I'm trying to "tame" her! That should be interesting. Kevin helped me transfer her to a larger habitat the other day. Ishtar was quite cooperative. Also, Nammu molted on Wednesday, so now she's really pretty (colorful) and of course larger. I saw "The Da Vinci Code" last Sunday and enjoyed it very much. It was the first movie I've gone to for quite a long time: I'm sure a year or so. I'm sure glad it's Friday, and 5 o'clock -- I always look forward to the weekends, with "mucho" enthusiasm!! But Summer Ops is going OK (and of course Kevin is wonderful!) -- but I'll still be glad when it's over. Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed talking to you. Sounds like you are getting more acclimated all of the time. Take care of yourself.

Aunt Jen

Anonymous said...

Fofo/Sannu! I am a Niger RPCV from a while ago. I still keep a web page called "Focus on Niger," and would like to add your blog and others I have found to the RPCV/PCV section of that page. It is great to read news of current PCV's adventures in what amounts (for us oldies) as real time, because (for your future reference), in our hearts we never leave. Kal nda ton ton, Sai Anjima, Joel

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»