Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mmmm.... Coffee

I'm not sure why I always wait until the night before I leave to make a blog post...
 
It's been a hectic few weeks.  I haven't been in my village much though.  I only spent about a week there, so I didn't get to ride the camel much, and they won't let me drive yet.  Sometimes they can be a bit overprotective.  I also worry that Djibo thinks he's going to get the camel when I leave, he's in for a few surprises there.  They are unaware that I am planning to move in the next six months, and that I'm taking the camel with me!  I'm hoping to ride it down to icrisat, it's only about 100km, so I think I can do it in three days or so.  I went down there last tuesday to visit the place and see if it would be a good fit.  I love it and can't wait to move.  I'm trying to convince the boss that I should move there as soon as my grain bank is done, if not sooner.   We'll see how that turns out.  I stayed the night with Anna and then went to visit Seabass in his village for a night before we came into Niamey on Thursday morning.  We got a ride from some rich fellow in an awesome car right to the bureau, yay! no bush taxis!  Everyone was here from the region as we had a bicycle maintenance training yesterday and today, and we're all going home again tomorrow.  We also had to say goodbye to a couple of friends who were going home, some were done, and some who decided they were done.  Every time someone goes home early, it makes it more tempting to quit, but we're almost done with the miserable weather, and I don't want to give up just yet.  I do have that new post to look forward to as well.  I'm hoping to spend a month or so in the bush before coming back, so it might be a while before I post again.  In the mean time, wish me luck on the camel, I want to ride it into market in a week and a half, without my villagers pulling it.  I just need to stand up to them and say "Damnit, it's my camel and I'm going to ride it!"  He still doesn't have a name yet, but I promise to have one next time I come in. 

7 comments:

hockeyfrog said...

Is the camel named yet? (and I was a little baffled, how *does* a camel pick a name?) Jesse and I were thinking about it, and came up with names that were either really silly camel names, or were just inappropriate.

Anywho, glad to see you're doing well! Stick with it, I think it will be worth it in the end :)

Travis said...

I think you should name your camel Steve.

It's a funny name for a camel.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are doing well. You sound so excited about going to icrisat. I hope that works out for you even if that means we won't see you for quite a while. You are definitely missed in the little town of Burrton. The holidays won't seem the same without you.

Keep up the good work and stay out of trouble. Steve could always come and show you how to get thrown off of your camel. HE HE!!

Love ya

Aunt Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hey Captain,
I have several things I need to send to you. (Just having issues finding a box big enough) but there's three things that's arrived at my house and we'll get them to you soon. Also, your Camel needs a name. Give him one like Frank, or something equally as impressive ;)
Ren Fest starts this weekend... though it's going to be a miserable time trying to find a time to go. (September seems to be a busy month) but it just won't be the same without our elf.
Missin ya.
Cmdr Bishop,
NCC53844

Bishniak said...

Could just name him Joe Camel.

and, can't you walk him around your hut without help, that way you can go into town without someone guiding you?

Who's Anna, and Seabass and iscarot or what was that word?

Bishniak said...

Happy Birthday Captain!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM!! MISS YA!!

Aunt Jenny