Sunday, November 05, 2006

Zinder, Here I come!

Came in to Niamey for an FAO training on Farmer's Field Schools.  It seems a great program where farmers and gardeners get together and discuss what problems they're having and what solutions they can use.  Unfortunately, we really don't have time to implement it for gardening season this year.  We'll probably do a watered down version, which is kind of what they should be doing anyway.  Anyway, it's been a long three days.

As a highlight, I got to go to the Marine Birthday Ball last night with Alex and Alison.  It was great to go to a formal event here, we have some semi formal things like swear in, but nothing black tie. Granted I don't have a suit or anything so I wore Seabass's boubou (forgot mine in the bush).  There was great food, dancing, and an open bar, WOOT!  It was a good time.

Tonight at 4am I head out to Zinder.  It's about a 12 hour bus ride, so that will be fun.  At least its not a bush taxi.  And I'll have my omnipod with me, so I can listen to some music or watch a movie.  I'll be visiting foks out there, and talking with some about work.  Then friday, back here, and out to the bush again on sat.

It's going to be an incredibly busy next few months, what with the grain bank, seed distribution, visitors, christmas, moving, and training newbies.  I'm hoping to be one of the lucky few that gets to spend two weeks training the new group and eating great food back in Hamdalaye.  It will be great though, especially after the move to Icrisat!

So far I still have Tarzan, but Djibo says we need to sell him as he's to skittish to ride much.  I'm okay with that as I could use the money, and maybe I'll get a horse after the move. 

I'm going to try an audio blog, so I can inflict my voice upon you as well.  I can record entries in the bush on my omnipod, and then upload them for your listening pleasure. I'm still working out the technical details, but I'll keep you posted.

I think that's all I've got for now, but I'll try to post again friday night.

1 comment:

Bishniak said...

For some reason I think your audio blog would benefit more if you had a British Accent. Give it a whirl and see if it sticks :)