Friday, April 21, 2006


I survived an entire month at post! I got to come into Niamey to see all my friends. It's really good to be around them and see what their first months have been like, and realize I'm not the only one who's hot and bored. My boss came out to visit this yesterday, and we rode into Niamey with him to avoid
bush taxis. He was impressed with my integration. I've become a kwara-ize, or member of the village. He was impressed with how much I've helped them work around the village, not that I've done anything huge, but if someone's working, I pitch in and lend a hand. I've helped roof a house, make bricks, dig mud, water gardens, etc... It's definitely a good deal of work, but nothing too mentally taxing.
I've leaned up quite a bit, I'm down to about 168 or so, and I think I need to start including some peanut butter or tuna into my diet so I don't lose anymore. Don't worry, I've still got plenty of energy, and I'm eating plenty, just dropping some stored fat. The pics here are of my house and concession, I'll also try to find one of my bald head. It's a bit different. I'm going to let it grow out
now I think. By the time it get's long enough to be hot, hot season will be over, and I think I want to go on vacation next year around hot season, so we'll see how long it gets. On the subject of care packages, I love to get them, it's like christmas, or maybe even better. I've come up with a list of things that are always welcome:
  • Beef Jerky
  • Drink Mixes (preferably sugarfree)
  • Ground coffee
  • Granola bars and the like (chocolate will melt)
  • AA Batteries (the rechargeables don't like the heat)
  • Sunflower seeds & such snacks
  • Pictures
  • Anything Instant (just add water)
If I come up with other things, I'll add them later, but those are things that I'm sure to use and enjoy. Do pace yourselves though, packages are expensive and I'll be here for another 23 months :-) Well, I'm going to close for now, but I'm in Niamey for another few days, so I'm going to try to be online from time to time for chat.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you have a nice area for yourself. Starting to see some touches of Jim here and there.

I will get with Grandma and see what we can put together in the way of a care package. Bet we can come up with a couple of things.

Nice hair cut!!!!!!!!! Not sure if it's the real you or not.

Love ya!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hey Cue Ball. That looks really good. Package on the way. Love and Miss you. Mom

Anonymous said...

AAAA CAptain, your hair!! Not as bad as I thought it would look. I'm hoping that you did eventually get our care package. It did show up didn't it? Let us know.
Cmdr Bishop

Bishniak said...

Captain! You've gone Picard on us!

But I guess if it's cooler to have no hair, then so be it. I've heard it gets itchy when it starts to grow back out, just FYI

Travis said...

OMG NO HAIR!

As you may or may not know, we get a big group of people together every Friday for dinner. This week, we're devoting the occasion to collecting an assload of stuff to send along, so expect some goodies in... well, however long it takes stuff to get there.

Anonymous said...

Hey hot stuff!!! I finally got a letter written so will send some pictures I can dig out. Miss my dance partner!! :) Looks like you've got a solid amount of care packages heading your way, so I'll wait this time around. Glad to hear things are going pretty well for you.
Love ya...the wife. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmie, good to see that you are doing well. I like the lack of hair look. There is a care package on the way. Hope it's not too heavy to carry back to your place. But I hope it will be worth the work. Cheyenne is doing good. Going 90 miles an hour. Shane comes home in two weeks from college. Well I hope you are having alot of fun. What an adventure. Love and Miss ya lots. AP

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,

How are you doing? Fay told me you seem to enjoy it there.
We are all doing great, school is about out and we are excited. We hope to spend a lot of time at the lake. I saw you're picture with no hair and you're just as handsome as ever. We'll love you
Terri

Anonymous said...

Jimmie, I just realized that you're using the 'annoyingly consistant' stitched rug in your hut.
Cmdr Bishop