Friday, May 12, 2006

Arg! Sick again!

I had a viral upper respiratory infection for about a week.  That was no fun, lemme tell ya! 103.5 in 110 weather is pretty miserable, but all is well now.  I came into Niamey to see the doctor and recouperate a bit.  I've been in every 2 weeks now.  I'm not complaining, but I should try to stay at my post more.  I was sick, so I had reasons, but still.  Now I'll go out to post and spend a week before I have to come back in for more two more weeks of training.  Oh well, I'm pretty integrated, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

My village wants a grain bank and a school, and I want to start rabbits, so I think I have enough projects to keep me busy for a while.  Tomorrow I'll have been in Niger for 4 months.  Seems like it's gone fast, yet I feel like I've been here forever, wierd. Wednesday will be the 2 month mark as a PCV, only 22 months to go! 
 
It's hard to believe that soon we'll have a new group of trainees in a couple of months, then we won't be the newbies anymore.  That will be kind of nice, but they'll also expect us to know what we're doing.  It will be nice to have new english speakers to talk to though :-) 
 
We're almost done with hot season, and I think one is enough.  My friends and I are planning to head to Ghana next year when it gets hot.  I can say I survived hot season in the Sahel, at over 110 degrees, I don't need to do it twice!  It should rain any time now, though the forcast is pretty flaky here.  Last year I hear it rained last week in April, but we're still waiting.  I can't wait to see it start to get green here!  I'll be sure to post pics of before & after rain :-)
 
Well, not really sure what else I have exciting, I appreciate all the mail I've been getting, It really is like christmas when I go to the post office :-).  I hope to get some more responses in the mail soon, so keep an eye out.

7 comments:

hockeyfrog said...

Stay healthy, will ya?! Miss your face around here! :)

Anonymous said...

Better watch those infections. I know they aren't fun. Counting down already? It was really good to hear your voice last week. Blogs and letters are nice but to hear you on the phone was better. Grandma misses you a lot but of course you already know that.

Take care of yourself.

Miss ya!

Aunt Jenny

Bishniak said...

Well all the rain you're not getting is being dumped here back in the Midwest. My lawn is going haywire!

Have a letter for you (it's a bit old now) was waiting for the missus to write one and then we'd send it.

Travis said...

Word to hockeyfrog, stay healthy dude.

We miss you lots, take care... and look forward to some of us still being at K-State when you return. =)

Anonymous said...

Your letter arrived today. Always love to hear from you. Hope you get rain soon! Would love to come see you. I love and miss you. MOM

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»