Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Back to the bush

I've been in Niamey for over a week now.  I wasn't even going to come in till last Wed., but I got mildly ill due to skin infections on my foot (long story, but nothing major), and came in for antibiotics the friday before.  I ended up needing to stay for a meeting the following wednesday, when I would have come on the shuttle.  So I've been here much longer than I wanted to be, but it's been good because I got to see nearly all my stage-mates who were in for swear-in.  It was like a mini reunion, and we got to welcome the new batch of PCV's.  Tomorrow I'm going back out to the bush, after helping to install our three new team mates. 

The Gender and Development dinner/auction was fun.  As always, I was the only one who can work electronic equipment so I got stuck running the sound system.  I did get some fun things at the silent auction though.  I got a pint sized nalgiene bottle, a fanny pack with a camelback type water bladder, some coffee, and a dvd that didn't work.  I almost bought a horse at the live auction.  It went for about $250 USD.  I should have bid higher, but que sera.  Natalie donated the horse and is going to take a long trip to deliver it to the winner while stopping in villagers to do AIDS sensitizations.  They also had someone from the national dance team teach some PCV's some traditional dancing, which was cool (no, I didn't dance), and we had a Nigerian named Hadiza Mangou come sing.  It was good times, and the enchiladas they served were wonderful.

I'm in good health, and have even gained a few pounds back, probably due to the time I've been in Niamey.  I've been so busy lately, with newbies, meetings, etc, that I haven't had much quality time in the bush.  I also haven't got to work with Tarzan (the camel) much, but I did have a bonding moment when I got to shove grass down his throat and he didn't complain much.  The villagers are trying to fatten him up and make him grow big.  I'm okay with that, it means we'll make more money when we sell him.  I named him tarzan because he thumps his chest a lot with his front feet. 

I should be able to start gardening when I get back.  I meant to start some seeds a couple of weeks ago, but it's good that I didn't because they'd have died while I was away.  I don't know if I'll get much from them though before I move.  Anna claims to have convinced Sangare that I need to move in January.  I'm okay with that.  I've been working on the proposal for the grain bank.  Naturally it got rejected the first time through.  I think there's some rule about not letting it be too easy.  Hopefully it will go through this time and will be on the web soon.  I figure that either I'll get funding and be done with the project by January, or I won't have gotten funding and will leave it to the next volunteer to do.

I got my new PMP, a Cowon A2, which is incredible.  It plays and records music and movies, and acts as a portable hard drive.  It's like an iPod but WAY BETTER.  I call it my omniPod, because it can do everything.  I've spent a good amount of time on the computers putting my movie/music collection on it.  I got it a week ago.  I went and picked it up at the post in Niamey, because I didn't want it to go wait for me in Balleyara, where I wouldn't have a computer to load stuff on it with.  It took some convincing for them to give me the packages here, but a nice lady named Rabi got it taken care of, and wants me to send her two chickens.  I'm tempted to do it, just to surprise her.  I also have discovered portable applications, such as firefox, gaim, gimp, and all the linux programs I love that run off of a usb key.  it's wonderful, as  get to take all my programs and settings with me and run them on any computer without leaving a trace.

I'm fixing to stay in the bush for about three weeks, then I'm heading out east to visit some friends.  I'll try to hit the web sometime around then.  Ta ta for now!

5 comments:

Bishniak said...

Enchiladas? in Africa?
Next you'll tell me that tigers are there too.

Travis said...

You'll appreciate this...

John had a party at his place a few weeks ago, and just about all of our little crew were there. We thought of you when a funny story about You, John, Jesse, and Matt's girlfriend meeting us for the first time came up. I think you know which one I'm talking about. Good times, good times....

Cheers, and hurry back, we miss you dude!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jimmie~

You didn't dance? Are you sure the Jimmie that I worked with for 5 summers? Just kidding:) It's so good to read your updates and hear that all is well! It makes my life of reading and writing sound incredibly boring to write about, but I really admire the work you're doing! Best wishes!

~Melissa Broeckelman

Anonymous said...

JIMMIE!!!!!!!
I miss you my friend!!! I was jut wanted to drop you a note to tell you hello and to see if you happened to receive a certain somethings in the mail recently...I guess we sent it in July or August. I was just curious. Anywho, I am glad to hear things are going well. We all miss you here!
Love you! meghan

Anonymous said...

jimmie, glad to hear you had a good time with your folks. too bad about the squirts that they brought back with them.:)

we're home for the holidays and are gonna miss seeing you here. wonder if you got the pics of your newest little cousin yet? if not, you have some on the way.

enjoyed reading your blogs.

love always, a.p.