Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday!! Woohoo!

I've not felt this way about a friday in quite a while.  But that's what I get for changing posts.  The grass is always greener...  It's still hot, so I'm hiding inside in the a/c.  My new project is to learn dvorak.  It's a keyboard layout that is said to be more efficient than qwerty.  Right now I'm pretty slow at it (12 wpm), but I'm getting faster. 

Okay, that took way too long to type, back to qwerty for now.  I went to a cybercafe last night.  It looked like a nice place, but the computers were very slow, which was sad as the internet seemed very quick, and they were all set to french.  They had them so locked down that I couldn't change it.  ARG! I will not be going back.  It is interesting though that I'll intentionally learn dvorak, but I refuse to switch to french when it is all there is.  I think that's part of it, I'm not against learning something new, especially if it's more efficient, but I'll be damned if you're going to force me to learn something when there's no good reason they can't accomodate all languages!  Sorry about the rant, it's probably not the last time you'll hear about this one!  We've been planning to go around and rate all the cybercafe's in Niamey, I guess we should get on that soon.  Right now there is only one computer on the internet at the bureau, so I'll be going out to cafes more often until it gets fixed.

I'll be in niamey for a week now, doing some training seminar thing.  Hopefully by the time I come back out here to ICRISAT I'll know about the RR thing, hopefully I'll be the RR.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

hockeyfrog said...

Wow, you're a blogging machine lately ;) Jesse has been interested in learning some other keyboard layouts too, but it wasn't dvorak, and I don't remember what it was. I'm such a great girlfriend like that sometimes.

Anywho, the monsoon season is upon us here in Manhappenin', and its causing havoc on my immune system. Also that monsoon is supposed to switch to snow tonight, so I should head to the store real quick (heh, I open the restaurant tomorrow too, yay).

Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmie - I just came across your blog and wondered if you are still posted in Baleyara. I'm an RPCV who used to live and work out there from '94-'97. If so, and you have a little time to drop a post back, I'd be grateful to hear how things are there, whether there's still a team based there, and what you are doing. I'm not sure where Holla Bella is (that's your village, correct?) - I lived in Tabla and Baleyara.

Thanks, and best to you in what you are doing,
JEK

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note. We all have issues with being forced to do things or not to do things. Unfortunately, that is life.

Just FYI, I haven't smoked since January 21. I know that is amazing, but the amazing part will be if I can continue to stay smoke free. Doing my best.

Keep kicking. And smiling, makes other people wonder what you are up to.

Love and miss ya.

Aunt Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hey hottie!! I miss my dance partner! Looking forward to having you back in the States and our trip to Vegas to dance to Frank Sinatra in front of the Bellagio!! Things here are well...I'll try to get out another letter soon. Love ya lots!--Heather :)